By Christine Wheaton, Sassable staff writer
Glycolic Acid is amazing. That’s all there is to it.
What is it you say? Glycolic Acid is one of the most well know chemicals called fruit acids or alpha-hydroxy acids, otherwise know as AHA. Glycolic Acid (ugh, why isn’t there an abbreviation for THAT one?) is natural because it comes from sugar cane. It is generally used in cosmetics for it’s exfoliation, anti-aging, and hydrating properties.
How does it work? Glycolic Acid is high in acid obviously. So when it is put on the skin surface, the acid goes under the damaged dead skin layer and eats away at the glue holding that layer onto the skin. Without the glue to bind it, the dead skin falls off and new live skin cells are revealed. These live cells are balanced by the Glycolic Acid and will begin to make more elastin and collagen (which makes your skin “puffy” as opposed to “saggy”). The live cells are now ready to receive and properly absorb hydration, and the full benefits of an anti-aging treatment (if you are doing a good skin care regimen), and presto chango, you are on your way to younger, smoother, more vibrant skin.
How much percentage should be in your products? At least 10%, anything lower than that won’t do squat. I wouldn’t go higher than 20% for an at home product either. You can get a professional Glycolic Acid Chemical Peel at your local spa which usually has about 50-70% concentration, yowsa! You will look like a lobster after one of those babies for a few days. But it is worth it to rid your skin of fine lines, hyper-pigmentation, acne scaring, large pores, uneven texture, etc. You will be glowing my dear.
Other facts. Glycolic Acid will make your skin more sensitive to the sun, so be sure to always use sunblock when you are using an AHA product. And even if you are not, you should be wearing sunblock anyway!
70% or more concentration of Glycolic Acid will remove rust...seriously.
You might experience a slight stinging sensation from products with AHA’s in them, that is normal. I personally like it, feel the burn! Let’s me know it is working. Now if it is really painful, take it off, you might be extra sensitive to it and should check with your dermatologists before you continue use.